Friday, October 15, 2010

How To Depot Your Urban Decay Book of Shadows

So I finally bit the bullet and decided to depot my Book of Shadows. Come along with me on my journey.....

What will you need for this project?

An X-Acto Knife (FYI don't google that, disturbing images) and Your Fingers:


Your giant Book of Shadows of choice, here I have chosen #2:


A Palette, Magnetic Backing, and a Pen:


I chose a Unii Palette which comes with a sticky magnetic sheet that can be cut and labeled easily.

Take out the drawer of shadows:


Flip over the drawer, look for a corner, and start peeling:


Peeling is also steps 3, 4, 5, and 6:


You will eventually get to the inner cardboard:


Also peel off the front layers that surround the metal pans:


See how the pans are just glued to a single piece of cardboard:


You want it to be a thin layer underneath:


Now use your X-Acto knife to free the pans. BE CAREFUL:


Now shed some tears over the many trees killed to make your Book of Shadows:


The remaining paper should peel off easily:


You could swab the pans with alcohol to remove the glue, but if you are like me, you will slap some magnets on the back already:


Label and put into your palette of choice. Leave out Midnight Cowboy Rides Again as punishment for being a glittery mess:


Yay!

7 comments:

Musing on Beauty said...

"Leave out Midnight Cowboy Rides Again as punishment for being a glittery mess" hahaha!
I have not yet come to the point where I'm tired of my BoS, though, it would break my heart to cut them open for now.

ModestyBrown said...

That looks like so much fun and it looks so neat in the new palette. I love that the banished one! I always struggle with the UD eyeshadows.
Jane x

KittenMittens said...

lmao LOVE IT! It's kind of terrible that I wish all palettes were made of cardboard to depot. Plastic is such a pain in the ass!
It's so pretty in the new palette!

partysis said...

lol! Love your comment about MCRA, it should definitely die in a fire!

Lilbabybeetroot said...

Hello from Australia*waving*I only just found you yesterday Martha.Boy am I glad that I did,you are such a crack up:)
I adore your style of writing and all the pics.
Your sons are a gorgeous looking lot!I'm also a mum of 3 boys,but mine are 15,13 and 10.
xxx

Diane said...

Haha! Great step-by-step guide. I would never have thought about depotting my UD palettes, they are so big and bulky this is a great idea! LOL about Midnight Cowboy Rides Again, I agree it is a glittery mess!

Kaki said...

"Leave out Midnight Cowboy Rides Again as punishment for a glittery mess" - too dman funny. I keep giggling. This looks so much better than other tutorials I've seen. I recently got the BOS IV and while the packaging is cute - it's not user friendly and I'd rather stick them in a Uni or Z palette also. Thanks for the great info!