Wednesday, November 9, 2011

YSL Pure Chromatics #19: Swatches and Review

 YSL falls into the brands I have never tried but always admired category.  I can thank Rachel of Makeup Never Sleeps, and Jess (Don't Call Me Jessie) for the inspiration to buy.  Both blogs have nice pictures, swatches and reviews of YSL.  I can also thank my sister, who tells me what to do. 
Yves Saint Laurent Pure Chromatics are shadows meant to be used both wet and dry without compromising the quality of the powder.  Sometimes shadows can become unusable after they are dampened, but not Chromatics.
 Check out the nifty vents on the back to let the applicators dry out.  YSL has included two applicators- a double ended sponge and silicone tipped one.  I actually found the silicone one quite useful when the shadows are wet.
Another feature worth mentioning is that each pan has a slight dip that makes it easy to drip water into and mix the shadow.

I swatched each shadow wet at the top and dry through the bottom.  As you can see, water intensifies the metallic effect, and the dry swatches are more softly shimmery.
 There is a shimmery lavender rose, an icy white, a silvery cool taupe, and a deep satin brown.
Applied dry, I prefer these over a creamy base like a MAC Paint Pot or Bare Escentuals Primer.  Wetting them gives an intense sheen almost like foil or glass.  I love using this technique on the lid and inner corners.  The only shadow I couldn't quite get the hang of wet was the deep brown.  It seems to not want to meld with the water.  

Overall I am very happy with my YSL Pure Chromatics Quad, and am thinking of picking up one more.  If you are comfortable using shadows wet or want to experiment, definitely check these out!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love that quad! I'm so glad you picked it up. Your perfect skin and eyes are going to do that palette some serious justice. I have 20 and 6, as well...and 19 and 6 are definitely faves (because they work well dry). 20 is beautiful, but not the easiest to use. Fabulous post and swatches, per usual :D xxx